Thursday, July 7, 2011

A Query for my Captain

Hi. My name is Rebecca Bookout and I am querying my novel.
The endeavor may seem simple, but I know it is not.  I have queried a young adult novel, a chapter book, and a picture book.  I am also published in the romance genre under pen name and have sent many queries for novels, novellas, and short stories.  I have had successes and I have had failures.
When a query is accepted, there is no better feeling.  When a query is rejected, it is difficult to imagine (especially when you are in the moment), anything worse.  I know the rejections are not personal.  I know.  Really, I do.  But that rarely makes the rejection must easier to handle.
So, pulling myself up by my bootstraps, I begin the process again.  I find my words of encouragement from the beloved Walt Whitman:
O Captain!  My Captain!  Our fearful trip is done;
The ship has weather’d every rack, the prize we sought is won;
The port is near, the bells I hear, the people are exulting[.]

The passage may not seem inspiring (if you know the poem), but it is to me for I am querying a story of my own Captain.  I am ready to take this journey with him, and hope that he finds success.

No comments:

Post a Comment